Friday, August 24, 2007

What better way to prepare for 2nd year of medschool than binge drinking? Thus, I met friends last night and we went to a bar called McFadden's in Philadelphia. I did a lot of drinking and a lot of dancing. Hangover today: moderate. I think I have another round of binge drinking ahead of me tonight.

A few strange things bear commenting upon from last night.

When we first got to the bar, I was shocked. "We're not going here are we?" I asked. There were a lot of good looking skinny people waiting in line to get inside. I don't know why they made us wait in line, the place wasn't very crowded. Maybe they like to make people wait just because they can.

At one point a busty bartender lined men up, back against the bar, and after wrapping a towel around each man's neck, stood on the bar and walked its length pouring a long stream of red liquor into each victims throat. The red liquor splashed all over each man's face. The psychosexual connotation is, of course, a golden shower. I don't mind being treated like that, but try not to drink anything red. Later in the night, this same bartender lost a chugging contest and the DJ kept trying to get her to do a keg stand.

At another point, the DJ promised free shots to women who would dance on the bar. They didn't have to do anything lewd, only dance, but on top of the bar as a public spectacle. Finally, a handful of women did dance on the bar. They weren't great dancers, it wasn't like Coyote Ugly at all. The women were kind of shy and didn't know quite what to do with themselves. They danced for one song, some dancing together, some separate. Then they got down from the bar to walk among the rest of us.

The music was loud, which I don't like, but at least Philly has banned smoking, so I didn't smell like smoke afterwards. I didn't know many of the songs, but when a song, or a remix of a song, I knew came on, I tried to dance with more enthusiasm. I even tried to dance like Axel Rose, but wasn't very good at it. Later in the night, Curtis danced just like Axel Rose. It was uncanny.

I met a few first years and told them things like, "Welcome to Hell" and "Enjoy Yourself!"

Though I really enjoyed myself, I was very glad not to be involved in the bar scene. What a drag it must be to squeeze into some tight jeans and go out to these places and try to attract someone. Going to the bar reminded me why I like going to bars and why I do not like going to bars.

The jury is still out on this new keyboard....

No comments: