Monday, August 13, 2007

I haven't posted much since we've arrived here in Madison, WI. We've spent a lot of time visiting friends. Last night, we went to Sa Bai Thong, my favorite Thai restaurant. I had the Gaeng Phet Fach Tong. Delish!

Two nights ago my friend, Rakesh, had a party at his house and all of my friends (except Brian, Megan, and Jason) in Madison came. It was great to see them. There was an elaborate spread of food with cupcakes, lamb biryani, jambalaya, taziki, and chips/salsa. I ate too much and drank too much. The afternoon before the party, I did some racing with my friend Jamie and Howard. The wind was strong and steady; the sun was warm and shining. It was fantastic weather for sailing.

Visiting everyone reminded me that it is the people inhabiting a place which makes the place special and unique.

Tomorrow, I help my inlaws load a mountain of boxes into their RV for the first part of their move. Later this morning I'll do some yoga and watch TV.

One quick funny story about my mom before I go. Before my cousin's wedding, my wife and sister took my mom shopping for clothes. In the first store, the changing room (where one tries the fit of the clothes one is considering for purchase) was seperate from the public by a curtain which my mom either neglected to notice or decided not to use.

Always helpful, my wife told her, "Nancy, let me help you with this." Jill closed the curtain for her, mentally making an allowance for my mom by allocating the immodest behavior to my mom's meager techinical abilities - i.e. my mom was not able to master the privacy curtain technology, must have been frustrated, and decided not to use it.

However, the changing room at the next store had a more standard privacy technology, a door. Again, my mom gave everyone a peep show until my wife closed the door for her.