Sunday, November 25, 2007

May is a lucky girl; she had three birthday parties this year.

Our birthday party was the most wild of the three and had some of the kids from the nieghborhood. Jill had the party planned very well. It was a dog themed party. We began by opening the door and letting the wild children into the house. Then the wild children circulated within the living room and dining room to different 'dog care' stations, including the following: dog beauty salon, dog doctor, pup tent, and canine cafe. Then the kids had a craft activity in which they decorated their 'dog houses' (little cardboard boxes that Jill had gotten to contain little take-home-party-favor doggies). Almost immediately as the kids were starting to get rambunctious after the dog-house decorating, the pizza arrived. We ate and then, like clockwork, opened presents. Finally, we ate brownies and ice cream. It was terrific except that I had the worst laryngitis I've had since I was in college and also no one cried at the end (hardly a good kids party if no one cries at the end). I enjoyed the party, but some of the guests were creeped out by my scratchier-than-usual voice.

Then, on the actual day of May's birthday, she had two parties. The first party was at my sister's house where she received elaborate gifts of jewelry from my sister and camoflage army fatigues from my mom. When Sarah brought the cupcakes out of the back room with the candles lit, May screamed over and over again, "I can't believe it! I can't believe it!" May got a chocolate cupcake (her favorite) everyone else got carrot cake cupcakes (my favorite). Ben wasn't too happy with his carrot cake cupcake and kept pointing and screaming at his sister's cupcake. Ah well, each person's birthday comes but once a year.

That evening we went to my Aunt's apartment where we ate large amounts of excellent food from the extended thanksgiving feast (i.e. leftovers). I like to judge a thanksgiving holiday based upon the quality and quantity of leftovers and this year's holiday was very good. In fact, I ate a turkey sandwich for lunch today and may be fortunate enough to have one again tomorrow.

Finally, it came time for us to leave NY. As I was schlepping out bags down to the car, Benjamin came up to my knees and looked up at me. He asked, "Hep ooo?" Ben is very interested in helping grownups do things. He likes to sweep and take out the garbage. He is most interested in helping in real ways. He really wants to haul a bag of trash to the curb. His sweeping is not super helpful, though it is enthusiastic. He also really, really likes to help unload the dishwasher. He was quite disappointed that I wouldn't let him help me haul the bags to the car and went and cried and told on me to his mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, Sam, but you're the worst father in the world.

You make El Destructo choke down a carrot cupcake (nasty!) then refuse to burden his youthful and bendy spine with heavy bags?

I hope Jill dispensed with your ill-begotten ass with some old fashioned "cricket bat" justice.

Rokeach said...

Did you know that there are parts of WI and MN where they call it "larnyx", not "larynx"?
I hope you'll keep that in mind when you're making up your mind about where to settle down and send your kids to school.
R

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! You've got spam!