Thursday, November 08, 2007

I felt guilty for being a bad medical student today. As I was walking to an appointment about using the new train ticket system for my commuter train, I passed a woman and her boyfriend/husband on the corner. She was sitting on the ground and shaking all over. Her eyes were closed and foamy saliva was coming out of her mouth. Her bf/husband was on his phone calling 911. He asked me and a few other pedestrians what streets were intersecting here. A young woman told him, and then offered to cross the street and get help from the Jefferson emergency department. I assume that he took her up on the offer because when I finished my train ticket orientation, I returned to the same spot and the seizing woman and her husband were gone.

So, I feel guilty about this. A good medstudent and a compassionate person would have helped this patient across the street into the ED. I did think twice about the whole situation, but figured that the woman who crossed the street would get the couple all the help that they would need. When I turned around and thought twice about the whole situation, she had fallen on her back. I *did* after all have my relatively inconsequential class on how to get a new kind of train ticket. How many strangers need to interfere in this couple's health care? Anyway, I feel guilty, again...

I went to see my career advisor today and talked with him about doing a pathology honors project. He seemed excited about it and told me that it would go in my Dean's letter, as long as I remember to remind him that I had done a pathology honors project.

Right before I went in to see my advisor from the dean's office, J called me and told me that B leapt/fell off his chair and landed on his face. She told me that he was really groggy and lethargic. Right away, we were both worried about the possibility of a concussion. Jill and I played phone tag until I went in to meet my advisor.

Despite the fact that I knew Jill was racing to the ER with both of our screaming brats in hand, I was able, with a straight face, to tell my adivsor that everything was going well at home. I guess compared to our troubles last fall, a few trips to the ER are no big deal.

Again, I feel guilty....

No comments: