Sunday, March 18, 2007

Today we went to the St. Baldrick's festival in Collingswood. It's a St. Patrick's day fund raiser where the fire departments from all the neighboring towns collect pledges and then shave their heads. They also serve a lot of beer and food. My diet suffered fairly heavy damage today as I drank two glasses of beer, ate 4 cookies (three were pretty small, in my defence), and ate a meat ball sandwich with cheese and hot peppers.

When we got to the festival, I said, "ah, let May run around, she won't get in any trouble." The festival was in a one room ballroom with a second floor terrace over looking the space, so there was really no where to run. Jill let May go run, but sent me to look for her after about 10 minutes. I looked for 10 or 15 minutes and couldn't find her. Jill yelled at me a little and then went to find her right away. After that, I had to follow May around until we left, which neither of us enjoyed.

This week, Ben was playing in with one of his toys and Jill took him to eat some dinner. While feeding Ben, she looked into the living room and saw May squatting over his toy. May was wearing only her 'panties' (her word, not mine), and Jill called to her, "Honey, what are you doing over there?"

May answered, "Tinkling on Ben's toy."

A powerful metaphor that works on many levels.

Benjamin is pulling himself up on everything. This is especially challenging in the bathtub. He can't stand and he has no traction, so he's slipping and sliding everywhere. He falls again and again smashing his face into the walls, the faucet, and the floor. He usually doesn't cry a lot when he falls, but when he's in the tub, it's like he's wearing football pads; nothing can hurt him. It does frighten us a little though.

This week I'm studying histology of the kidney and renal physiology. There was a huge ice storm on Friday, and my sister is coming to visit next weekend.

No comments: