Monday, March 14, 2011

My New Year's Resolution was to reconnect with creative energies. One of the things I will try to do is write blog entries again. What can you do to make up for not writing for a year? Beg forgiveness? Slave away and hope to be rediscovered by former readers? Post a link to the blog on Facebook? Probably not facebook.... Ironically, it is easier and more discrete to bear my soul to anonymous readers on the internet than to my "Friends" on facebook. It's not that my friends don't read this blog (or didn't before I screwed it up by not writing for a year), but that I'm not sure that I want everyone who has "Friend-ed" me to see what I write. If they really, really want to keep tabs on me, they can google me and do some cyberstalking.

What other plans do I have to reconnect with my creative energies? I'm hoping a children's book will be in the works. I have two on the back burner. 1) "Dinosaurs and super-heros drive construction trucks" 2) "How do ninjas bike to work?"

Professionally: I work in the lab at the VA hospital in Madison. This month I'm rotating through the autopsy service. It's fascinating. Whenever a medical student rotates through, I brag, "Noone consults the autopsy service for acne. These people have real medical problems." Some of their medical problems are so serious that, in fact, ........

News of the kids: El Destructo and The Little Scientist are well adapted to their new environment. During some of the recent political protesting, El Destructo turned to me and said, "Dad, when will I get a chance to vote." He enjoyed marching, but I think the meaning of the protest was a little over his head. When we got home, he marched around the apartment waving his placard and demanding, "Vote Packers! Vote Packers! Vote Packers!" Totally absurd. Nobody in our house would ever vote for the Vikings. He wants a gerbil for his birthday.

The little scientist has been doing well in school. During recent teacher strikes, she came with me to work and made up for my brusque antics and wretched flatulence with her charm and grace. She also redesigned our reporting system. She's going to take ballet this summer. She's made some new friends in the neighborhood and at school.

A brief treatise on economics: In a capitalist economy, which ours is, at least nominally, there are boom and bust cycles, growth and recession. These are normal. Keynsian economics is the idea that the government should sully the waters of pure capitalism by intervening during times of economic troubles. For example, build roads during a recession, thereby improving infrastructure and creating jobs. However, economics and politics are deeply intertwined and one frequently cannot take an economic position without it implying a political stance as well (excepting my chivalrous and gentlemanly Uncle Charles). The more conservative branch of of the American political system had for many years advocated a post-Keynsian approach to economics - a faith that pure markets can fix all problems. The recent economic problems have led prominent conservative figures, like Bush Jr., to reconsider the Golden Calf of Free Markets and re-embrace Keynsian economics (ergo the Wall St. Bailout).

Politicians in WI are not quite as progressive ***smirk*** here in WI, however, and it seems likely that Jill's perfect job will fall victim to the recently elected governor's job creation plan. In post-Keynsian economics, the government could never apportion aid to destitute, retarded, or elderly as efficiently as a private corporation could. And in fact, if you think about it, this is why there are so many corporations solely dedicated to social service and caring for the poor, the infirm, and the elderly. ***can I smirk twice in one paragraph?*** I'll leave you to the internet to sort out the details of the political protest, but would like to recommend one article by the Wall Street Journal for those who have an interest in finance and a reasonable understanding of the bond market.

As for me, I will wash the dishes, do the laundry, and try to rebuild my blog. One post per week.

No comments: