Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The easter bunny brought my daughter restrictive airway disease in her easter basket this year. She was hospitalized over night from sunday afternoon to monday evening. Monday afternoon, I took Ben to the doctor and he got an anti-biotic for his ear infection. It's been a rough couple of days for the kids.

We finally decided to take May in to the emergency room because she was very listless, had a fever, and was breathing rapidly. It was scary. Jill and May went to the pediatric ER at the Virtua West hospital. I took care of Ben at home.

The height of my anxiety came when Jill lost her cell phone at the hospital. The nurse called me and said, "Are you May's dad?" It was the first thing out of the nurse's mouth and I thought who could be calling me asking a question like that if not a hospital employee after something terrible has happened? Immediately after I had the fright of my life, Jill found her cell phone, so I didn't have to call it after all.

So Monday, I got a ride from the neighbor to the hospital (God bless you Kathy & Dave!). Jill was pretty sore from not nursing Ben, so she got to nurse Ben, and I got to take Ben home, after he nursed. Ben slept for the exact right amount of time to wake up, eat a late lunch, and be chauffeured to his doctor's appointment. After I dropped off his prescription at the drugstore, I went to get my new glasses while they were mixing his medicine. I could tell he was feeling sick because he was willing to run these errands without screaming the whole time through the trip.

More news on Ben: he loves standing up, leaning on a chair, and pushing the chair around the room

Both kids are still sick today, but feeling better.

I look really good in my new, hip, stylish, rectangular framed eyeglasses.

We're studying acid/base homeostasis in school.

1 comment:

Rakesh said...

Hey Sam; did you learn from your kids' travails that your medical training is no good when it comes to them? They always seem to have the joker that trumps your diagnosis.