Monday, June 01, 2009

My dad is visiting which means we need to spend some time fixing his computer, cleaning up after him, and begging him to take us out for dinner. Jill and I wanted him to spring for some Chinese take-out, but May wanted to go to Friendly's. Grandpa Steve filled everyone's wishes.

At friendly's, both kids were well behaved. They were really hungry, and when El Destructo's hot dog and macaroni-and-cheese came, Ben dumped the first spoonful, as hot as lava, into his lap. He cried and cried. Scared and in pain he had to go sit on his mom's lap. He was so upset that he lost control of his bladder. Jill, always prepared, had some dry clothes for him and whisked him off to the bathroom. She, herself was not prepared for a potty accident and had to sit in wet clothes through the rest of the meal.

Later that day, I got home and we ordered some Chinese take-out. I got mooshoo vegetable, Jill got chicken with eggplant in garlic sauce, and grandpa got pork lo-mein. I offered to bring one of the kids with me as I went to pick up the food. May wanted everyone to go, but Ben and Jill wanted to stay at home. May also wasn't willing to let me go without the whole crowd. She had a tremendous meltdown, "We MUST have everyone go to get the Chinese food!" Finally I talked her down from the emotional moment and we drove to get the food.

I negotiated two free egg rolls and two extra fortune cookies. I told the kids, "If you want a fortune cookie, you have to eat Chinese food!" They did a good job. Of course, they loved to eat the mooshoo pancakes, but they also ate some lo mein. When we ran out of pancakes, we gave them tortillas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Logically, of course, it makes sense to pee one's pants when they are on fire with Friendly's mac & cheese.

Rokeach said...

Dr B, unfortunately we will be out of town for much of August... tragedy! Let's talk soon. We leave on the 10th.
R